Tokina 10-17 Fisheye as rectilinear UWA?

Started Nov 17, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OS74
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Tokina 10-17 Fisheye as rectilinear UWA?
Nov 17, 2009

I'm considering getting on of these for creative WA shooting, and eventually UW photography together with a 500D.

However, i have a couple of application where a rectilinear lens would be good, but can't justify the extra spending. There have been some hints about defish here on the forum for this lens, but I have a couple of questions tho those who do that.

• What is your workflow for this? I currently use lightroom2 for import, RAW conversion and general workflow, it would be good with a tool or plug-in that requires minimal deviation from the general workflow and doeasn't require a detour via a lossy format.

• Are the tools automated? I.e. do they run from lens-type and focal length information of the EXIF for conversion, or do you need to apply a conversion effect manually with a "slider" for each image? I haven't tried this as I don't have the lens, but I imagine as the lens i a zoom, the conversion has to automatically count focal length in, or require a user-determined conversion, is that so?

• What sort of quality degradation can you expect? It has been stated here elsewhere that conversion of the range 14-17mm is feasible. What rectilinear focal length would that equate to when cropped back to standard 2/3 format? (The corrected image should look like an extreme "pillow", right?)

Cheers
OS

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow