Canon 7D - Did I make mistake?

Started Nov 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
CanonPhotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 676
Like?
The only mistake you've made thus far
In reply to karenlh, Nov 16, 2009

is in questioning your decision in the first place. If you're satisfied with the results that you're currently getting from the 7D/lens combo, then be happy, and keep shooting.

There's always going to be something as good, or better (and/or at times, less expensive) out there. Many will advise that you invest in a lens system, as opposed to a camera body, since bodies come and go, and this is very sound advice. However, if the body that you DO invest in isn't capable of providing you with the results that you need, or desire (i.e. excellent low light capability/IQ, fast focusing, etc...), then it doesn't really matter WHAT lenses you invest in.

You have the best APS-C dslr in your hands right now. Use it, and get the most out of it, and don't question your gut instinct with wanting to go with the best of the best in camera bodies. You apparently made the mistake of not getting adequate enough dslr's for your needs when you invested in the two Pentax cameras. Don't make the same mistake by questioning your current dslr's capabilties, unless it's not providing you with the IQ that you require.

B

karenlh wrote:

It's a little late to be asking this, but I'm still interested in your opinion.

I wanted a camera that will take good indoor volleyball photos in extremely poorly lit gyms (middle schools). So far I've tried this:

Pentax *istDL (because it was cheap) - Adding the 50mm lens helped, but not enough.

Pentax K10D (because I already had 3 Pentax lenses) - Improvement over *istDL - but, again, not what I was after. There was a great deal of noise at ISO 1600, plus shutter speeds were still down around 1/125.

SO... I decided to switch to Canon and bought the 7D with the 50mm F/1.4 lens. I was able to use it at a high school game. The photos were much, much better than I've had in the past. However, I'm wondering if I could have gotten acceptable images with the 50D or one of the Rebel series cameras. Did I gain that much improvement in picture quality at high ISOs over these other cameras? I'm wondering if I should have invested my money in add'l lenses instead of a good body. When I've tried to save money in the past, I ended up with 2 cameras that I wasn't happy with. I didn't want to risk that happening again. It's hard for me to test cameras in the store as the conditions are so different than in a volleyball/basketball game.

What do you think? Did I make a mistake in buying the 7D?

Thanks,

Karen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow