Started Nov 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gerry Pasternack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,472
Like?
2209WA Calibration
Nov 15, 2009

Finally got my Monaco Optix-XR calibrator working with Windows 7, and attempted to calibrate my 2209WA monitor. Seemed to go fine, resulting in some slight color improvement. Two questions:

I opted to calibrate using monitor's "Native White Balance". Seemed OK and I see no color cast in test images. Anyone know what the 2209 native WP temperature of the 2209 actually is? I was wondering if it would be would it have been better to adjust WB from scratch rather than accept the native value?

When setting "Brightness" by measuring the maximum brightness that will not cause clipping I was surprised to find that any level of brightness setting would do. I set Brightness to 15 to mimic what others in this forum have reported.

At Brightness=15 and Contrast=85 my colorimeter reported Black Lum=0.15 and White Lum=124, thus giving a contrast ratio of 826.

In an interesting review of 2209WA ( http://www.lcdreviewz.com/review_Dell_2209WA%20 ) the author is critical of the monitor's inability to suitably reduce brightness to match a darkened working environments, and also its ability operate over the range of a suitably shaped gamma curve. He believes that the best settings for photo work are Brightness=0 and Contrast=50, to match sRGB
What do you think? Happy to get you views on all of this.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow