Started Nov 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,755
Like?
FZ35, best of the "Super Zooms"?
Nov 13, 2009

I am a retired airline pilot and tend to be VERY thorough in evaluating cameras, computers, and other technical goodies before I buy. I usually am very happy with my final choice and never return anything just because I don't like it.

My one recent mistake was buying the FZ28 as a hoped for improvement to the Canon SX10 I already had. Since I bought the FZ28 primarily for video, I was initially terribly disappointed. I checked the video out in a local Ritz camera store and it seemed okay. I "interviewed" the sales clerk outside and thought the voice and video were both okay. What I found in actual use was that the video sound was awful. The video clips themselves had little value to me. They can be played only one at a time and cannot be played chronologically with the stills.

After my disappointment with the FZ28,, I took it to Yellowstone along with my Canon SX10. I found myself usually reaching for the Pany except when I knew I was going to take video. The Pany is quicker into action, has more menu options and a button layout that is very user friendly. Modes are not to be accidentally changed. The EZ zoom function, very valuable in Yellowstone, is extremely easy to access and use. I have since used the FZ28 extensively around the house and in the field. It is a GREAT camera,...... except for the video.

In trying to find a "one size fits all" camera, I have considered the Sony HX1 and the Canon SX20. Both are very nice but also heavy. The big advantage of the Sony, an excellent burst mode, is negated by the storage time of 16 seconds after using the burst. Seems you might miss the shot while waiting for the pictures to store. The Canon SX20 has the same advantages and disadvantages of it's little brother, the SX10. It is heavy and clumsy and has many fewer features than the Pany FZ28. Burst mode isn't there. Some will value the flip out screen and the hot shoe. I don't use these features.

The new FZ35 seems to have most everything a guy needs. The lack of a good burst mode is a limitation but the high speed burst is a satisfactory alternative most of the time. If the sound during video has been improved in fact, and not just on paper, this is the camera I will buy. Frankly, I'm just waiting for a local retailer to have one that I can try out with my own card. Best buy doesn't carry Pany, of course, and most of our Ritz stores are closed.

I just felt like sharing my thoughts on the "super zooms" with forum members. In my opinion, the handling qualities and feature package of the FZ35 give it the edge over both Canon and Sony. I'll be buying at Amazon.com, probably in the next few days or weeks. I think my analysis paralysis is finally over.

Any comments on the FZ35 appreciated. It's always good to hear from happy owners.

Jack

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow