Started Nov 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
karenlh
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Canon 7D - Did I make mistake?
Nov 13, 2009

It's a little late to be asking this, but I'm still interested in your opinion.

I wanted a camera that will take good indoor volleyball photos in extremely poorly lit gyms (middle schools). So far I've tried this:

Pentax *istDL (because it was cheap) - Adding the 50mm lens helped, but not enough.

Pentax K10D (because I already had 3 Pentax lenses) - Improvement over *istDL - but, again, not what I was after. There was a great deal of noise at ISO 1600, plus shutter speeds were still down around 1/125.

SO... I decided to switch to Canon and bought the 7D with the 50mm F/1.4 lens. I was able to use it at a high school game. The photos were much, much better than I've had in the past. However, I'm wondering if I could have gotten acceptable images with the 50D or one of the Rebel series cameras. Did I gain that much improvement in picture quality at high ISOs over these other cameras? I'm wondering if I should have invested my money in add'l lenses instead of a good body. When I've tried to save money in the past, I ended up with 2 cameras that I wasn't happy with. I didn't want to risk that happening again. It's hard for me to test cameras in the store as the conditions are so different than in a volleyball/basketball game.

What do you think? Did I make a mistake in buying the 7D?

Thanks,

Karen

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow