Started Nov 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Karl Johan
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Lens lust, 14-24 or 70-200?
Nov 12, 2009

This might be confusing for some, it sure is for me.

Anyways, I've been going back and fourth lately and can't decide at all between the 14-24 and 70-200, I only got cash for ONE.

Short story:

Problem #1:

It's been 6 months since i sold my old AFS 80-200 cause I didn't use it much, it just sat on the shelf collecting dust. But lately when I'm out in the field and photographing landscapes I wish I had more reach, usually my 105 vr will do just fine but sometimes I wish I just had a liiiiittle more. I can probably get a TC but prefer a zoom like the 70-200 vr. I do a lot of portraits as well so getting a used 70-200 is probably for the best.

Problem #2:

Landscape is the only thing I do besides portraits. I use the 17-35/2.8 + 28-70/2.8 alot for that. Love being able to use filters such as ND grads etc. The 28-70 is an awesome lens and I use it most of the times. A bit dissapointed with the performance of the 17-35, especially wide open. It sure gets better when stopping down to f5-8. But usually works great when I really need it. I do however think I need something better.. for lowlight photography.

Anyways, I have ALWAYS wanted to experiment with night photography. Been thinking on it for a very long time now and I really want to go ultra wide and that new 14-24 sure seem great for that purpose. I'm fine with it not being able to take filters. My biggest concern is that I'm still using an old D2x so I'm not sure if it's the best idea. I'm not planning on moving up to FX until 2-3 years. The only real problem is, what if I go and buy that 14-24 and discover I need BOTH 14-24+17-35?! I still would miss that 70-200 vr if I did.. Now if I don't need both and dump the 17-35 I can just save up a little more cash for a 70-200 vr.

It might sound simple but believe me, it's not. Have gone through every scenario in my head and it's driving me crazy.. or am I crazy..?

What WOULD you do?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow