Started Nov 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NJOceanView
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085
Like?
Help Me With This Brief 5D2 vs. 7D Analysis
Nov 12, 2009

I need to get a new camera, but I have a dilemma. I love extra reach, so I actually prefer a crop camera. But I do about 5-10 weddings a year, and love having low-light capabilities. In a perfect world I would get the 1D4 -- a bit of a crop for extra reach, but a larger sensor for better noise. But my world is imperfect.

We know that, despite the good noise profile of the 7D (I'd use it at 3200 at a wedding without flinching), it's not as good as the 5D2, which I'd use at 6400 without flinching. But with the 7D I can use the 17-55 2.8 IS. On the 5D2, I would use the 24-105 4.0 IS. (I wouldn't use the 24-70 2.8 because it has no IS.)

Does moving to a 4.0 aperture essentially negate the noise advantage of the 5D2? If I wanted to hold my shutter speed constant, wouldn't I have to double my ISO to accommodate the one-stop aperture difference? I believe I would get the same brightness at a constant shutter speed at 2.8 @ 3200 as I would at 4.0 @ 6400. But I need validation that I'm right, or a correction if I'm wrong.

If my thinking is on target, I'll look to all the other pros and cons about the two cameras we're all familiar with (DOF, pixel pitch, etc.). Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow