Started Nov 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Borealis
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
~$500 Lenses that Produce Pleasing Bokeh
Nov 11, 2009

I recently came across this thread where someone was looking for a $200 lens for good bokeh.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1030&message=32971947

Most of the lenses that I know are famous for good bokeh cost upwards of $1000* (85/1.4, 105/2 DC, 135/2 DC etc.). In my opinion, thousand dollars is usually too much $$$ for most amateur photogs to drop on a single lens. Are there any lenses that people know to produce pleasing bokeh and cost less than or around $500*? If you could post samples, that would be great. Also, a price indication of the lens you suggest would be great too.
*Let's stick to US dollars as currency and convert appropriately

To start with I'll post a pic from my Nikon 35/1.8 DX. Available in Australia for ~AU$350. Amazon says US$200. Not bad bokeh @f/1.8.

Bokeh: There could be an offshoot discussion on what constitutes bokeh. I mean bokeh to be pleasing background blur that causes the out of focus areas to be rendered as smooth buttery mass. If there are disc like shapes in the photo the smoother they are and the more easily they blend into background the better I consider them.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow