Started Nov 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,029
Like?
Why is DA 12-24mm so expensive in UK?
Nov 11, 2009

I've been looking around for a wide angle zoom, and the obvious best choice is the Pentax DA 12-24mm. However in the UK it costs an eye-watering £900, against about £650 for the Nikon and Canon 10-24mm lenses and £480 for the Tokina 12-24mm which is essentially identical to the Pentax - but only comes in Canon and Nikon mounts. Yhe salesman in the shop I visited told me that the high price of this pentax lens was due to currency fluctuations, although why this does not affect other Japanese brands (or indeed other Pentax lenses) he didn't explain.

In the US (at B&H) the Canon / Nikon 10-24mm lenses are about $780 whereas the Pentax 12-24 is a mere $720 (£434), less than half the UK price and cheaper than both Nikon and Canon, not 30% more expensive.

Why is this lens so ridiculously expensive in the UK? And why isn't the Tokina equivalent (the same lens, essentially), which is a much more reasonable price, not available in Pentax mount?

Grrrr.....

Best wishes
--
Mike

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ROBNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow