correct DPI for Red River Arctic Polar Satin Paper on Epson 3880

Started Nov 10, 2009 | Discussions thread
PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,654
Like?
Re: correct DPI for Red River Arctic Polar Satin Paper on Epson 3880
In reply to justjoem, Nov 10, 2009

That sounds like it makes sense. Though then I wonder what the built-in profile is based on for even Epson's papers. Eg. I use Premium Ultra Lustre or somesuch.. if just printing using the Epson driver via qimage (not thru a profile) then what setting should I use and how do I find out? The default setting seems to be "Speed" which is a lower setting.. so if "Quality" isn't for Epson's supposed "pro" papers, when does one use "Quality" setting (2880x1440)?

justjoem wrote:

As I understand it. Each printer profile is made using a specific DPI. Using a higer DPI changes the number of dots as well as the total amount of ink used for any given image. Therefore, using a printer profile for a dpi other than the one it was actually made for can potentially cause color shifts. A color profile can be made for 2880 x 1440 but reading suggests such high dpi does not benefit photographs and is generally only helpful in rasterized images.

This is my understanding having printed my own photographs for a grand total of 2 days.

PicOne wrote:

FYI, I think this would equate to using the "Speed" setting for the quality level. Not be confused with selecting "Quality" which would give you the 2880x1440 setting.

Just curious though, what's the drawback of going to the max dpi setting?

Drew Hendrix wrote:

The correct quality setting is 1440 x 720. We'll fix the typo in the instructions today.
--
Drew Hendrix
VP / Tech Support Manager
Red River Paper

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow