Started Nov 10, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wildkat2
Contributing MemberPosts: 898Gear list
Like?
Nikon backlash?
Nov 10, 2009

I have two good friends who decided to buy D5000s recently. Besides the video and articulated screen, they were both attracted to the Nikon name. Both were stepping up from P&S and wanted "serious" cameras. In our tiny circle of friendship, I am the most "experienced" with lenses. I have been ranting and raving about how much I love my FA 50 f/1.4 and both decided they wanted a "fast fifty." Instead of excitement, both are now angry at Nikon. Because the D5000 lacks an AF motor, the only 50mm prime they can use is the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G - $470 street. The AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D is about $320. And neither one has Nikon Vibration Reduction. The only fast prime with VR that doesnt include a tripod mount is the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED - $850+. So now both are faced with waiting AND paying. The best compromise is the new Tamron 18-50 f/2.8 with VC but even that gives away a lot compared to a 1.4. Granted the ISO performance of the D5000 is good enough to extend low light shooting but its still a compromise.

My friends may not be typical Nikon owners. Maybe the majority of D40/60/5000/3000 owners may never care about fast primes. My friends do and they are not happy that Nikon was less than clear that they were buying a "crippled" product.

-- hide signature --
 wildkat2's gear list:wildkat2's gear list
Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) +16 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow