Started Oct 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
larsbc
Forum ProPosts: 11,490
Like?
Re: S90 & G11 – my final conclusions & suggestions
In reply to ebrandon, Nov 6, 2009

ebrandon wrote:
[snip]

• The 140mm range of the G11 is sometimes welcome, but there is in fact little practical difference between the 140mm and 105mm. If you’re “putting up with” the greater size, weight, complexity and cost of the G11 mainly in order to get the longer reach you’re barking up the wrong tree. Why? Because in 90% of the situations where you’d rather have 140mm instead of 105mm

1. you can take one step forward

2. you can crop the photo a tiny bit when you get home

3. The 105mm picture is actually better than the 140mm picture you wish you’d gotten.

For example I first took this 140mm with the G11.

Then switched to the S90 and noticed that 105mm wasn’t long enough. Took two steps forward and took this picture which I think is better.

This is kind of a weird point and example. If you're trying to flatten perspective and juxtapose elements in your shot, the longer focal length will be more effective. Your first example at 140mm doesn't work simply because you chose the wrong angle and position for that focal length.

I'm not trying to defend the G11. I just think it's odd to say that one focal length is going to be better than the other, without qualifying that statement by describing the conditions in which you think this is true.

larsbc

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow