Started Nov 6, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jan Maguire
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
7D, Nighttime Soccer, and Pam the EE
Nov 6, 2009

There was a really long thread recently about Pam's 7D autofocus saga and in that thread a nice discussion about how autofocus works. I gave my new 7D a workout earlier this week: worst case NIGHTTIME SPORTS. I think it did admirably. Of course not every shot was in focus but I was impressed with those several shots where you are tracking and something else jumps into your foreground ... the camera stayed with the subject. Also did darn well with multiple frames per second when the action came towards me.There were others where it just didn't focus on what I wanted it to. But overall, I still have two-thirds of the shots which I am still weeding through for content.

So, here are a couple of samples: ISO 6400, Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS, aperture priority at F2.8, AI Servo, AF area auto, high ISO noise reduction default standard, picture style standard. RAW, converted to 16-bit TIFF using DPP, then sized down for web. The vertical shot was actually cropped from a horizontal. Shutter speeds were 1/400 and 1/500 respectively. Many others were at 1/250. It was DARK.

So, I didn't try the zone focus or single point. This did pretty well. Any others out there with uh dark night sports experience?

Below are the two shots:

-- hide signature --

JanM

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow