Started Nov 5, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
farrukh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,720
Like?
E-P2 thoughts
Nov 5, 2009

I have to say I was a little disappointed with the E-P2 though appreciate that building a new camera in such little time is a complex task few would allocate resource to accomplish.

In my opinion, as a small upgrade this has been hyped up far too much by Olympus (directly or indirectly) causing more harm than good - there is nothing worse for a product than for it not to meet expectations; which, to be fairly we the consumer are just as guilty of exagerrating: as if somehow our wish list of EP2 features would somehow be included.

I find the external viewfinder, while functional to conflict with the very concept of the new Pen series, small and pocketable - which as other commentators have already pointed out, one of the reasons we carry the EP1 is because it is small and simple. Now to add an external view finder which is so large, or even the microphone contraption, to me this was Olympus's attempt at appeasing its fan base in as quick a time as possible.

Years ago when I bought my first sony ultraportable I decided not to buy another again, why, by the time you add all the attachments for everyday operatbility you might as well buy a larger laptop.

I do hope that both we the consumer and Olympus the manufacturer learn from these events. We by not raising out expectations based on speculation. Olympus by not taking cheap shortcuts - which while functional contradict the very purpose of the Pen concept - pocketable.

That said the additional lenses are welcome, not what I was looking for but still, welcome. But sadly all this means is that the great gain Olympus got even with the fumbling of the EP1 launch (e.g. anticipated design based on proto vs real delivered product), has now been lost where I now liken them to almost every other manufacturer out there.

It is sad to see yet another manufacturer succumb to the temptation of the wider consumer market, failing to realise that that very same market would pay a premium for a premium product. To me this was a marketing, product planning and management flop.

Some might, others might not share my opinion, but as we all seem to be sharing them, thought I'd share mine.

Still btw happy with the EP1 & 20mm combo!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow