Adobe Camera RAW vs. Nikon Capture NX 2 for Nikon D3 RAW files???

Started Nov 4, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LongTimeNikonUser
Senior MemberPosts: 1,073
Like?
Adobe Camera RAW vs. Nikon Capture NX 2 for Nikon D3 RAW files???
Nov 4, 2009

I recently downloaded a trial of LightRoom 2.5 and I was very impressed with how LR really makes it very easy do do most/all of my workflow in just one application. (Not sure yet about the DAM features vs. specialized DAM products.) At a minimum, I probably don't need to use Photo Mechanic any longer. It would be very nice if I could also stop using Capture NX2. (and save $$$ by not buying all those upgrades ...)

The ONLY real reason I'm using Capture NX 2 is that the RAW converter is supposedly better than Adobe Camera RAW, because Nikon "encrypts" some information and only Capture NX 2 can decode that information. That's a nice explanation, but what does that mean in practice?

I have a friend who is adamant that this argument is meaningless in practice, that with some experimentation, I can get just as good results with RAW conversion using ACR as using Capture NX 2.

What kind of "experimentation?" Do I need to shoot calibrated targets for my D3? ... for each lens with my D3 (all nine of them, including older AI and manual lenses)? More ???

Thanks.
--
LongTimeNikonUser

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow