Started Nov 2, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
visual360
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
About a month and 8K captures later...
Nov 2, 2009

my Canon 7D is going back... Yes, kinda contradicts about my comment on the other thread about me being a happy camper. Although, at that time, I was quite "happy" with the camera, and actually still is, but... The big BUT...

... And the 8K pictures wasn't a typo either. Although, the bulk of it was during my sons soccer game and during practice.

While I didn't have any of the AF, ghosting problem that is reported all over the net, the pictures I'm getting just doesn't have the "wow" factor that I was expecting for such full featured camera. My keeper rate was also way below from what I'm getting with my 50D. Although that didn't bother me much, as I know I'm dealing with a new AF system, and more complicated set of features. The things that bother me is when I compare the pictures I've shot with my 50D, the 7D just lack the "pop" that I've so used to with my 50D. Heck, I even spent another $180 to get the LensAlign PRO just to convince myself that this camera is going to awesome. To be honest I didn't see any difference, and my lenses seems to be dead on anyway...

Today, I spent the better half of my day comparing my shot with the 50D and the 7D, and no matter how I try to convince my self that the 7D is better, I just can't see it. I even ask my wife to pick which set (soccer game taken with 50D, and the other with the 7D) is better by having both sets side by side on my calibrated dual display. Without hesitation she picked the 50D set, and that just makes me want to weep. I really like the 7D, and for the first couple of weeks I would blindly defend the camera to any nay sayers. Now, after several thousands of pictures, I decided to send it back, and see what's coming up next from Canon or see how the 7D fair after the smokes settles.

Anyway, I still think the 7D is a great camera, but somehow it's just not clicking with me, which is really a bummer. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Couple of shots below. While it's not necessarily a direct comparision, it's obvious how the 7D lacks the "it" factor. I don't know, maybe just the lack of contrast on the 7D?? :cry: :cry:

Shot from Canon 7D:

Shot from Canon 50D

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow