SB900 and Genesis 400, 2 of each, how to get them all playing together nicely?!

Started Oct 31, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TwoToneTony
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
SB900 and Genesis 400, 2 of each, how to get them all playing together nicely?!
Oct 31, 2009

Hi all, I've just bought a Calumet Genesis 400 2 light kit to use along with my 2 SB900 speedlights for a high-key studio set-up, family portraits etc. I have the 2 genesis 400x in my 6x7 Lastolite Hilite as a big softbox which works very well. I'm shooting with a Nikon D300.

So my first play today with adding the speedlights to the genesis set-up and I'm trying to figure out how to use all 4 lights together. Best I've done so far is to mount 1 SB900 on cam in manual mode which triggers the genesis fine - 3 working light sources is already pretty good but I want to use both my speedlights for a balanced 4 light arrangement. Taking the SB900 off cam and using commander mode will not trigger the genesis 400s regardless of the photocell settings apparently because of the pre-flashes the D300 sends out in commander mode.

My mate uses a pocket wizard set-up but I wonder if there's a way to trigger everything without one?

Any advice, views or even solutions much appreciated

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow