Does anyone here own an E-P1

Started Oct 31, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Regular MemberPosts: 353
Like?
Does anyone here own an E-P1
Oct 31, 2009

This is a geuine query not an attempt to drum up a debate for it's own sake.

Does anyone here own or extensively tried out an Olympus E-P1?. My question is simple, how far away is it in terms of image quality from a D200 and to what extent is that difference bridgeable in PP? Leave aside the viewfinder and slow focusing issues for the moment as they may be addressed with the release of the EP-2.

The reason I am asking is that I would like a camera I could slip in a large coat pocket rather than carrying the weight of the D200 in a neccessary shoulder bag. I would also prefer the relative unobtruiseness of a smaller camera.

By way of prempting some questions or comments: I choose the D200 for what I perceive as it's great natural film like quality. I am not a professional but the quality of the image is important to me.

D200 and Tamron 17 50 VC

I do not shoot sports.

Shoot raw and use LR.

Can not afford two systems.

Image stableisation is a must because of shaky hands, hence my possible choice of the EP-1 over the Panasonic GF1 especially as the Panasonic 40mm 1.7 can be added while still retaining the benefits of in-body stableisation. From what I have seen of web images I also prefer the output of the Olympus. The Olympus also has the attraction of the collapseable short zoom lens even if it is not of top quality.

In respect of the G9/10/11 - I owned a G9 for a couple of years. In good conditions thr images were OK but too many good shots were ruined by shooting in less than ideal conditions. These cameras do not therefore offer a solution.

Any replies much appreciated.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow