Full frame vs crop sensor, can people really tell the difference?

Started Oct 30, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mldav5
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Full frame vs crop sensor, can people really tell the difference?
Oct 30, 2009

Sorry for this over asked question, but lately I've been constantly reading that "full frame is better for portraits and landscapes etc.... Crop sensors are better for sports etc." But in the real world, when I don't do huge prints etc, would I notice the difference if the focal lengths were equivalent between the two sensors; that is, if I used a 16mm lens on a crop sensor and a 25mm lens on a full frame?

If there is a difference, why doesn't anybody ever say what the difference is?

I am not concerned with basic differences in ISO performance and so forth, I am more concerned with the supposed change in perspective.

I know full frame naturally has greater coverage, but it seems this coverage advantage is made redundant by wide angle lenses.

If there is no difference between the two then why is one sensor type 'better' than the other for taking portraits and landscapes. Is it merely the fact that one sensor favors longer shots, ie. crop sensor, and the other favors wide angle, ie. full frame?

And on the issue of wide angle lenses, particularly those made for crop sensor cameras, do these somehow change the perceptive - 'perspective' in this case simply meaning how they look overall - compared to the equivalent focal lengths on a full frame?

Answers to one or all of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

(For all those who are interested, I currently own a 450d and, to my mind, get great portraits out of it, so, in the end, I just want to know what I can possibly gain from a full frame camera, because, for my purposes, the difference doesn't seem much.)

Cheers.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DOFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow