hard to decide.......which lens?

Started Oct 26, 2009 | Discussions thread
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,204Gear list
Like?
Re: hard to decide.......which lens?
In reply to maxliv, Oct 27, 2009

As someone has suggested, it would be helpful to know what the specific problems were with the kit lens. I used the kit lens when I bought my 300D many years ago. It is quite a capable performer.

It is also hard to know what lens to recommend without knowing what you like to shoot. You have suggested the 24-105f4L. I use this lens a lot on my full-frame 5D. It is a big lens. It takes 77mm filters, more expense. Although I use it for portrait and model shoots, I don't take it out for shooting landscapes--too big and heavy.

Do you require wide angle? I do a lot of architectural shoots. In the city, the closer you ge tto a building, the less the clutter, like parked cars, you have to deal with. I need my 24 mm WA for that type of shot. Also I have one client in the adult entertainment business. He likes to book hotel rooms for a shoot. Shooting a full body shot of a towel clad model getting out of a bathtub in a cramped bathroom requires wide angle.

Just my thoughts.
--
Jim
http://www.pbase.com/jcassatt

Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow