Monitor calibration tips / recommendations?

Started Oct 25, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gregory Kemp
Contributing MemberPosts: 668
Like?
Monitor calibration tips / recommendations?
Oct 25, 2009

Hi all!

Ok so I just recently upgraded my monitors - before I had a heterogeneous mix of different models of monitors and no matter what the colors would never match between them. So recently I bought identical Samsung 2494SW monitors - not a huge upgrade over what I had, but once I sell the old ones I should almost break even on cost.

I am running a Vista 32b machine, using a GeForce 8600 on DVI to drive the two monitors. The issue is that greys appear to have a distinctly brown hue to them and I cannot seem to adjust the color out without destroying other colors. Looking at a completely desaturated image on the screen, it has an obvious brown / tan tint to it when it should be grey.

My other system is Windows 7 64b, same monitor, using DVI and a geforce 8400. It initially had the same brown hue with the new monitor but in the Win 7 display settings there is a built in monitor calibration wizard that made it really easy to fix the color tint using the gamma adjustments. I tried making the same kinds of adjustments on my Vista machine, but using other software's but I cannot even come close to getting greys to look grey, they still have a tan / brown hue.

So far I have tried the Nvidia Control Panel color settings, Calibrize and Quickgamma, I also looked on the Samsung install CD and could not find any helpful tools. I have been through all the settings on the monitors own menu as well. I also have installed the Samsung display driver and made sure it was up to date from their website.

I can't seem to figure out how to adjust colors correctly - maybe I need to use a different software or is there something I should be doing that would help this? I've been adjusting colors until my head hurts and it is driving me crazy enough that I cannot edit any pics on this system.

Thanks all, really appreciate any tips you might have!
Greg
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gkemp/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow