Started Oct 25, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thiago_silva
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?
Better lens trumps better camera? K-7 x K100D measurebation pt.1
Oct 25, 2009

I'm not too inclined to measurebation, but since getting the K-7 two days ago I've decided to do some comparisons, just to see what I got with the new toy.

One of the claims that I wanted to put to test from day one was the "invest in glass before you invest in a new camera" (probably to unconsciously justify my purchase). So I decided to compare the k-7 and the k100D, with the 18-55WR lens and the DA40mm Limited lenses, and see what I got.

The test:

My question was "Would the K100D with the DA40mm Limited give a better result than the K-7 with the kit lens (18-55WR)?

To do that, I took three series of four shots (2 lenses x 2 cameras), at ISO 200, using a tripod and 2 sec. timer with a remote cable release. The 18-55 lens was set to 40mm to match the DA40mm Limited. Both cameras were set to Aperture priority. These were the series:

1) Both lenses at maximum aperture (f2.8 for the DA40mm, f4.5 for the kit lens)

2) To equalize things, both the DA Limited and the Kit lens at f4.5

3) Each lens at its optimal aperture, according to the tests on Photozone.de (f5.6 for the DA40mm, f8 for the kit lens)

Photos were taken in RAW, and exported as best quality JPEGS from Lightroom. The only two changes from the default lightroom parameters were a) white balance - set via eyedropper by clicking on the "C" in the bottle label., b) Noise reduction - set to 0 for both luminance and color. Focus point was the bat in the label, and metering was center weighted at the same point. For the K-7, I used Live View and contrast-detect AF.

On the following post, I'll write my opinion and show the images.

-- hide signature --

Thiago Silva - http://www.flickr.com/photos/thiagosilva/
Victoria - BC - Canada

'If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.' (Lewis Hine)

thiago_silva's gear list:thiago_silva's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow