ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Jolly
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
1D mk III or 5D mk II for low light figure skating shows
Oct 25, 2009

All,

I shoot a lot of figure skating shows for my local club; lighting is typically low and inconsistent; Up until now I've been doing this with crop bodies (40d/50d/7d) and fast primes (85mm 1.8; 135mm L ) or the 70-200 2.8 L.

I'm thinking about purchasing a used 1D mk III or a 5d mk II as a way to substantially improve my low light performance and enable me to shoot at higher shutter speeds / and or lower ISO's

If I go with the 5D over the 1D I believe I get slightly better low-light performance and clearly get a lot more MP for cropping while trading off the higher 10 FPS I can achieve with the 1D for a much lower 4fps with the 5D. I also get video which would be nice but isn't a major factor. The high fps is nice for capturing the best moment in jumps, but otherwise isn't too critical.

Would love some opinions / help from those who either shoot in similar conditions or have experience with both cameras. Either comments regarding my rudimentary analysis above or pointing out other things I haven't thought about, such as the respective AF systems of the 1D mk III and the 5D....

John

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow