ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Roguey
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Macro: 100 or 150 for 5D mk II
Oct 24, 2009

hi there,

I was hoping for some advice from you guys. I have a recently moved into FF (5D mk II) and wanted to get a macro lens for it - I miss macro.

My 40D (which I no longer have) had the 60mm Macro. I often found that the the working distance rather short (9 cm). I was often having to get 'too' close for my own comfit.

However now, I have choice:

Canon 100mm f/2.8
Sigma 150mm f/2.8

The Canon 100mm seams like more 'safe' choice. The working distance is more (than the 60mm), the AF is 'quite' fast/quiet and isn't too heavy?

However the Sigma 150mm, gives more working distance, slower AF? (is it louder?) and weights a bit more. It is also hard to find the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 in-stock anywhere.

I do have a Kenko 1.4 extender as well. I guess that it will fit onto both lenses (without any extension tubes) and AF is kept on both? (I read somewhere that the Canon 100mm f/2.8 loses AF?). I guess the extender will increase working distance or magnification, depending if I move further away.

So, which lens would you recommend?
Many thanks,

ps. the Canon 100mm f/2.8L seams nice, but is 'out-side' what I want to pay for a macro lens.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roguey/ (My pics)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow