Question for panoramic landscape shooters.

Started Oct 24, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FoxInSocks
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Question for panoramic landscape shooters.
Oct 24, 2009

This is a question for those with experience shooting panoramas both with TS/PC lenses and panning tripod heads using nodal points, or anyone with a good knowlege of the concepts.

My question is this: If you are using a full frame DSLR mounted in portrait orientation and using a shift lens to get the left, center, and right, would you then be able to use a pan head on the nodal point to pan to the right and take additional shifted shots? In my mind it makes sense since both methods are designed to avoid parallax, but I figured I had better ask the pros. Has anyone tried this, or have enough technical knowledge to know if it could work?

I ask because shifted panos taken in portrait with a full frame body have an aspect ratio of 1.28:1. I want more horizontal length, but without giving up the POV and resolution advantages I'd get from portrait orientation, something more like 1.8:1. I know slide plates would probably be the usual answer, but I'm trying to think outside the box a little.

I don't currently own or have the ability to get my hands on any of this equipment, or I'd obviously just go try it myself. I'm looking for the best possible way to take landscapes during an upcoming year-long road trip through the states. I'm not a professional; just very passionate about the hobby and craft. I don't currently print anything large format, but isn't it always nice to have the best results and options for the future?

Any insight the pool of experienced photographers here can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow