Started Oct 23, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
elanel
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?
35 f/1.4L or 35 f/2.0
Oct 23, 2009

I have always been a zoom person but would like to experiment with primes and, quite frankly, move into a smaller lens. I normally use a 24-105 (with a Canon 5D) as my walk-around and have found it fantastic but I'd like to try a prime now and 'go back' to the good old days (where they really that good?!) of using a 35mm.

I have come to the conclusion after many years of buying and using various lenses of varying brands that I will stick with Canon lenses. However, I also know that I won't be using the 35 exclusively as I like the options that a zoom presents when out shooting. On the other hand, I've always stuck to the principle that one needs to spend money to make money, i.e., buy the best in order to get the quality, build, longeivity, etc., that one wants in order to satisfy one's standards.

To make a long story short: do I go with the 35 mm f1.4L or the f/2.0? Will I be happy with the latter or will I regret it? And the questions go on and on, of course - or, have I answered my own question by the above rationalization? Will I be satisfied with the f/2.0 given that it won't be on the camera most of the time and perhaps not give me the quality of a good/excellent lens?

Perhaps this question has already been answered but I'd appreciate any and all comments you may have to offer.

Thanks for your advice.
--
Luis Curran
http://www.pbase.com/lcurran

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse in him to keep looking.
Brooks Atkinson, 'Once Around the Sun'

elanel's gear list:elanel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow