Started Oct 22, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ThachLy
Regular MemberPosts: 196Gear list
Like?
LX3 night shots - My first few lessions
Oct 22, 2009

I 've just got my LX3 about 2 weeks ago and have taken just over a 1000 pics. I 've read & learned from you all in this wonderful forum. I just want to share a fewhints & lessions I've learned the hard way, hoping to get more ideas/discussion/inspirations from others.

1. Taking Macro shots :

I was immediately stunt by the first few shots, but I want to do better, some hints below, but pls comment and suggest anything else I should try

• F2.0 give very shallow DoF, try F5.0 or above, experiment till you're happy

• Try using flash, but need to adjust EV + or - and could get some amazing results

• Be careful of background & angle of shots, flower, wind, sun rays could work for or against you

2. Night shots:

This is where I've had the most frustration. In fact I set my self 1 more day of testing before definitely returning my LX3. I'm glad now that I've persisted. I used to have a Oly C5060 & I so used to getting great night shots from it. The LX3 is a different tool. Here is what I 've found out about the LX3:

• Do not confuse the LX3 by taking twilight shots. Do it in good sunlight or dark (until you're more familiar withit, I guess).

• Because the LX3 has a motion detector in it, at full darkness, you need to steady the LX3 on a tripod or a surface for at least 2-3 sec before pressing the shutter ! Even in Scene mode-Night scenary, it will only use ISO-80 with long exposure (> 6 sec) when it detect absolutely no movements. If you rest your LX3 on a bridge which may have traffic vibrations, it can still detect the smallest jitters and will go ISO-800 with shutter say 1/8 sec. Not that the alternative is nec. worse then ISO-80, but its nice to know before hand.

• Look for colours in night shots, even shades of clouds can come out well in long exposure at low ISO.

I am still learning. Happy to hear other experiences/suggestions. Thanks and have a great day everyone.

Thach Ly
Melbourne-Australia

ThachLy's gear list:ThachLy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow