ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brianug
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
S90 & XSi. A landscapers perspective
Oct 22, 2009

Hi guys,

Been great reading all the S90 threads. Very useful information. The last thing I needed was another compact, as I already have the Canon G9 and G10, and the Panny LX3 and the G1, and a few DSLR's. But I fell for the hype and got the S90 a few day's ago.

Took it out the other day with my XSi with the 10-22, and my LX3. Just trying out a nice light weight setup for the field. First thoughts about the s90 are positive. A little concerned about the build quality. Not as sturdy as the LX3, that is for sure. Not sure how it would hold up with heavy use. I did get the Lowepro D wrap case for it, and that is awesome. Fits perfect, and you can just wrap it around and shoot with it on. Very compact and is perfect.

Really wanted to do a good comparison with my LX3, but after a while the LX3 just stayed in the pocket, and I just shot the same scenes with my XSi and the S90. Compared to my G9 and G10, and my LX3, the S90 has noticeably better dynamic range. Quite a bit better actually in real world shooting. I thought it was nice and sharp, and was great in the field.

Certainly believe what people say about comparing these to DSLR's. They don't really compare with the ranges and tones of a good DSLR RAW file. The XSi certainly gave me richer and smoother files. But if my DSLR ever went down in the field, I would really have no issue shooting with that little S90 Plus it's just fun to use.

Here's my first 4 shoots I worked on from the S90. What I consider a useful camera to me, whether a DSLR or a compact, is that I can express myself with it in the field and the post processing. Thought the S90 RAW files did that just fine.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow