Started Oct 22, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chekist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,385Gear list
Like?
candid street photographer?
Oct 22, 2009

As a justification for paying more money for m4/3 as apposed to 4/3 or APS-C camera I commonly hear "I like doing candid street photography and I get noticed with a larger camera." In contrast to my justification - it is small + light + I am lazy.

I am not a 'candid' photographer. Even if you find a picture that looks 'candid' in my portfolio, people knew that I was taking their picture, or I even asked them to stand there. But I do not do those very often.

I was wondering is there is such a thing as good photographers who frequently do candid and consistently get interesting shots? It seems like chances of you finding a truly good composition with an interesting character while having to hide that you are taking picture must be extremely rear!

If you look at National Geographic pictures from places around the world, people do look interesting and are not posing, but there is nothing 'candid' (in a sense of hiding the camera) about those shots... They pretty much just walked up to them with a full size camera and took the picture. And I think this works nearly all the time.

So I would like to hear some opinions. Am I wrong, or this is just the case of timid photographers?
--
--
Eugene
http://picture.stanford.edu/Photo

chekist's gear list:chekist's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Sony RX100 II +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow