I cannot even to begin to tell you how impressed I am...

Started Oct 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,076Gear list
Like?
I cannot even to begin to tell you how impressed I am...
Oct 21, 2009

with this new G11. As a matter of background information, I've collected the "G" series of cameras - ever since the G1 and I still have 'em all. Unfortunately, for me...The G10 was a major disappointment, and I stress here..."for me." Others may sing the praises of the G10 and who am I to disagree - it's all a matter of what you find to your liking. For me it was too noisy, had too many artifacts and compression jaggies, and other than an absolutely superb build quality....well, it was the let-down of the bunch.

So in anticipation of something new I picked up a G11 locally. I had high hopes for this camera, but I was not prepared to discover how wonderful this baby really is. I mean to say the images are downright DSLR-like. Now I shoot only in RAW - nothing else, and the RAW files coming from this G11 are nothing less than stellar - and that's with Lightroom/ACR.

So far, I've only been taking mundane shots around the house - but these shots are the ones I usually take to compare cameras. Folks, you are going to love this camera. I will be visiting the Yadkin valley of North Carolina the last weekend of this month to do a tour of a half-dozen wineries. Will take the G11, the Olympus E-3, and Panasonic/Lumix DMC-L10 with me, so I'll be able to post some great samples then.

The only thing that I can fault it on (and what camera doesn't have its faults), is that AWB for Flourescent and Tungsten settings should "not" be set to AWB. Now AWB works superbly outdoors - but not indoors. You should experiment here to ensure you have the right (applicable) WB setting engaged. But I have tons of cameras where the AWB is wacky. Nikon does a very good job with AWB in a variety of settings, where very little adjustments/corrections would be necessary. But I'm hoping that in the future, Canon might introduce a firmware update to calibrate this quirkiness with AWB.

But in the meantime, many kudos to Canon for "reintroducing" a legendary series. This new G11 is perfect - 10 MP's - and the richness of the colors, the lack of noise at ISO's below 400, and everything else about the camera - will make many a user quite happy.

Well done....(and I don't say that loosely as I call 'em as I see them).

-- hide signature --

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +25 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow