G11, S90 or another P&S for macro photography?

Started Oct 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Rising
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
G11, S90 or another P&S for macro photography?
Oct 21, 2009

I do lots of hiking in the mountains between 9,000 to 13,000 feet. When I am out I love taking macro photos of wildflowers, etc. I have a D700 (which I love!)and a 60 mm macro lens, but the combo is simply is too bulky and heavy to hike with all the time.

I have a Nikon P5100, but it sucks for macro shots as 95% of the images are out of focus. The camera almost always goes for the high contrast area and refuses to lock on the closest subject. It also can't focus in low-light. At parties everyone elses cheap P&S focus fine while the P5100 is unable to focus at all. My old Sony F717 is fantastic for macro as over 90% of its shots are in focus. The problem with the F717 is that it produces noisy images (especially above ISO 100), is only 5 MP, and is still bulky. Its swivel base is great for getting shots low to the ground.

Does anyone know of a good, small, p&s for macro photography? Would the G11 or S90 do well?

Here is an example of the type of image my P5100 cannot focus on, but the F717 has no problems with.

Thanks for any feedback!

-- hide signature --

John Rising
http://www.risingphotography.com
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula
postero.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow