Started Oct 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jonathan Ragle
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
35mm digital cartridge back
Oct 21, 2009

As I suffer through learning how to operate yet another generation of Canon camera menus and options, I'm just wondering what a CMOS cartridge back that can be dropped into any traditional 35mm camera would be worth to DPreview readers...both creatively and economically.

As I'm imagining it, the 'cartridge' contains a processor, MMS card-slot, mini-B port, and detachable battery at the base. The sensor 'tab' is rigidly fixed to the cartridge cylinder and may be thin enough to fit sandwiched with a film pressure plate...though if necessary, the pressure plate can be removed.

An LED display for image review and ISO-control can be tethered via BlueTooth (and attached to the camera exterior via Velcro or hand-held?). The display can supply it's own battery power.

This would be ideal for reviving all the great SLR and Leica M systems lying dormant in our closets, not to mention Olympus XAs, Yashica T4 Supers, and Contax G2s that have beautiful FULL-FRAME optics, compact designs, and have yet to be recreated in any digital equivalent by camera manufacturers.

Hopefully I've properly attached my sketch to this post. Thanks in advance for any feedback, and thanks for indulging my optimism.

-–Jonathan

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow