Started Oct 16, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,465Gear list
Like?
So I got my 7D replacement
Oct 16, 2009

this morning. Still 1.0.7. Took the clock battery out for about 10 minutes and stuck it back in and the spare I had from the previous body. No need to wait for battery to charge. I have been following all the threads so I am trying out a bunch of stuff to see if there are any problems. From everything I have read I set the focusing to one point - center for both One Shot and AI Servo.

This next series I took with my 24 -105, No images - just an update.

I did the usual random multiple yard shots to see if I could could get any grossly out of focus shots and I could not.

I did a few bursts at 8FPS (12 in a row x 2) at a fixed point in my yard (heavy overcast) to see if exposures were going to be different. All were consistent.

Then I had to be a creepo. I set it to AI Servo and did some bursts and cars that passed me. I just wanted to see if the focus was really out. It was not super sharp but not bad. The conditions were not stellar and I moved quickly to avoid jail time.

I then used the Lens Align and adjusted my 300L F4 IS with and without the 1.4 and my 70 -200 F4. Then I headed off to my test site - the zoo.

Same time last year with my 50D.

300L F4, Canon 1.4, tripod, flash with better beamer, mirror lockup, ISO 100, F4, 1/20

700 - 200 just on monopod ISO 1600.

I did some editing with these. Dfine and got rid of the scratches on the
glass

7D today, No editing - just resize and sharpen.

300 L F4, Canon 1.4, flash with better beamer, mirror lockup, ISO 200, F5.6, 1/25

300 L F4, Canon 1.4, flash with better beamer, mirror lockup, ISO 100, F5.6, 1/8

700 - 200 just on monopod ISO 1600.

Conclusion. So far besides BIF I see nothing really wrong with the 7D. I have noticed it does expose differently. Maybe a tad under. No major focus issues and you may think I'm crazy I still think my 50D was tad crisper which is really important to me. Far more that noise, etc. So I am not disappointed but I think it is a tougher camera to work with and over time and a few Firmware updates and improved skills I am hoping to match my 50D. I wonder if it is converter issues?

I have not tested any BIF, sports images, etc yet. They say it may be sunny tomorrow so I can get out for that. I have forgotten what blue sky looks like.

-- hide signature --

I have made my decision. Don't confuse me with the facts.

Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow