A700 or KM7D Which To Dump?

Started Oct 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
John McMillin
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
Re: Keep A700
In reply to Ken_5D, Oct 16, 2009

The advantages of the A700 are obvious: much faster focus and much less shutter lag. If you do any sports photography, you'll want that, every time. If you have more patient subjects, and don't need the highest resolution images, the 7D might be a better choice. Especially of you use JPEG a lot. There's something about the JPEG quality of the 7D that always pleases me. Colors are rich but natural, and they hold up well under manipulations, especially shadow recovery. I've never been quite satisfied with the way my A700 renders the tones of polished wood, for example. Using the "Deep" Creative Style comes the closest to the 7D's color magic, but it's not quite the same.

I recently went back to daily use of my 7D, while the A700 is in repair. My 7D JPEGs images just look better to my eye. The A700 is having a broken flash foot fixed for the second time in four months, which is disturbing. I never had that happen on my 7D in three years of the same assignments. I'm starting to think of my newer camera as the backup for my older one.

John McMillin's gear list:John McMillin's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow