Started Oct 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ScottMac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312
Like?
D3X same price as new Leaf II-5 back
Oct 15, 2009

Leaf announced today a new 22MP 16 bit depth back for $7,995, for $2,000 more they give you a Mamiya/Leaf MF body and 80mm lens. This back, at 16 bit depth is far and away superior at optimal iso to the D3X, just compare them visually, especially at iso 25 and you will see the difference the bit depth and MF size makes.

What does this prove? Well, for one thing, $8,000 now buys you a far superior studio pro image than the D3X, plus you can hook it up to a view camera with digital lenses or the Hassleblad HTS 1.5 and get view camera movements on 3 lenses without a view camera.

Leaf understands the new economy, Nikon does not. If the Leaf was $10,000, or the D3X was $6,000, I would not make this post or point, but they are both $8,000. I also would not make this point if Nikon had a moderately priced high MP, 21 or 24, as Canon does, but they don't.

Does that mean I hate Nikon, and will switch to Canon? No. It means what I said, the D3X is overpriced, a lot, isn't nearly as good as the Aptus and there is still no 5DM2 option, and it means Nikon is out of touch, lagging behind in price and newer cameras. Two upgrades of existing cameras? That's it? Lame.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow