Started Oct 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328
Like?
S90 Sensor Tilt: 0.6 degrees
Oct 14, 2009

Having followed many a posts on this matter, I decided to run a simple test of my own.

I've placed the S90 on a support (a can of Lysol, if one must be precise), ensured it was perfectly parallel with the mirror by means of a measuring tape, set the shutter delay to 5 seconds and took a few shots which were subsequently inspected in Photoshop. They all displayed the same degree of sensor tilt.

The red lines represent horizontal lines relative to the image captured (following the sensor). The green lines represent the camera body lines along identifiable features. The tilt angle thus measured 0.6 degrees.

Conclusion? Yes, there is a tilt. Does it bother me? Maybe, but only in certain cases; after all, the image on the display while framing the shot is an exact representation of the sensor and shouldn't be a problem for handheld shots. However, if the camera were to be laid flat on a surface while taking a shot (such as at night, to avoid shake) the resulting photo would no doubt be tilted.

I might go to bestbuy later today and exchange it, and test the new camera again and report back.

Nick

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hm?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow