Yet another 15-85 "test" thread w/ largish images

Started Oct 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,297Gear list
Like?
Re: Looks like my 17-85 is on its way out....
In reply to slartz, Oct 14, 2009

I feel the same way. I'm coming from a 5DII with 17-40, 24-105 and 70-300 as my portable and sanely priced trinity (with some primes and 100-400 as specialty lenses). To me, the 24-105 was a fantastic range to have and I used that lens 80% of the time. I really likes the 24mm range at the wide end, and found the 105 on the tele end a little short. The 15-85 on a crop solves this for me, and I'm happy as a clam. The 17-55, while a great lens, just felt claustrophobic on both ends to me.

I know the going theory is full frame is better for wide angles, but I never found the 17-40 on the 5DII that great for landscape shots...the corners were bad even stopped down. I'd much rather use the 10-22 on a crop than a 17-40 on FF if I'm worried about the corners.

The 24-105 on a FF will be a better portrait lens with the f4 at the tele end and shallower full image viewed DOF on a FF camera. But I have my 85 f1.8 which will do even a better job for portraits, so it's not a deal breaker.

I've now sold my 5DII, 17-40 and 25-105 and have a Tokina 10-17 fisheye for ultra-wide (which is very sharp, but a lot of CA) and the 15-85 for walk-around. I've not yet determined the fate of my 17-55...it's such a nice lens, but it's pretty large and limited. It would be relegated to an indoor lens.

Slartz wrote:

I was considering upgrading to a FF camera in the past few months... with one of the reasons being the great 24-105L and the lack of a decent walk around lens for all canon crops. This changes quite a lot... with the superb 10-22 I already own, and the seemingly great 15-85, I can really stay on par in IQ with a FF combo.

So at the end of the day, the main advantage of a FF body now would be (for me at least), the improved ISO, which appears to be about one stop higher. While I love lowlight shooting, I'm not sure that this 1 stop improvement is worth the extra 1000$ nominal cost, plus changing of equipment, the reduced range of wildlife photography, and giving up on the so many new features of the 7D...

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow