Started Oct 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tyer
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
wide-angle prime dilemma
Oct 12, 2009

I'm looking for lens advice. I'm using the Pentax K20, my first digital SLR, and I'd like to have at least one extremely high image quality prime to use with it. I currently have a Tamron 18-200 zoom, which I use mostly for the little bit of macro shooting I do (I rarely shoot portraits), and a Sigma 10-20 which I use mostly for landscapes.

Most of what I like to shoot is landscape, and I prefer the wider angle for most applications. More specifically, probably 80 percent of my shooting is of and on rivers, often shaded, and primarily from a canoe, which tends to always be in some degree of motion. I'm finding the Sigma (f4 max. aperture) a bit slower than I'd like for these conditions, and I don't always need the full 10mm width.

I'm considering the Pentax DA 14mm f2.8 (which has gotten some sketchy image quality reviews when stopped wide open, where its advantage to me would presumably lie), the newer DA 15mm f4 limited (which isn't faster but may be compensatingly sharper than my Sigma), and the 21mm f3.2, which I guess is the compromise choice.

Does anyone have any comparative advice to offer on these lenses?

I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone knows of an earlier or possibly even pre-digital Pentax lens in this range that I should consider alongside the above. Working manually would obviously be more challenging in these conditions, but if there's a superior lens that would make the hassle worth it, I'd like to consider it.

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow