Started Oct 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chekist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,392Gear list
Like?
Sigma DP2 vs Olympus EP1 - night shot
Oct 12, 2009

I had a friend over yesterday. He shoots Canon, I shoot just about everything but Canon. So subject of Sigma came up, and he asked me in which situations do I prefer it. As I mentioned before here, I stated that I think night shots/high contrast shots are good; but I did not have a shot done in identical conditions with Sigma and some other camera to show the difference. So I decided go to San Francisco and take such picture.

I used Olympus EP-1. Of course, this is not the most capable DSLR, but it is the one that is most commonly compared to DP2. I shot both at 40mm equivalent, f8.0, ISO100, on tripod of course with a timer. Both were shot RAW. I know this is a can of worms. Everyone and their mother immediately assume that there was a better way to process it. But for Sigma shooting JPG generally makes no sense, and so I did my best trying to get the best result in both cases.

This is the full image and I cut out two fragments:

Top two are from DP2, bottom two are from EP-1. Sigma images are at 100%, Olympus ones are scaled down in CS4 to match the size.

I think the spill from lights is responsible for 90% of the difference. Stepped down kit Olympus lens is very good. Level of detail is higher in Olympus if I was to shoot a page of text. And of course, I am not trying to say that Olympus is a bad or worse camera. Just in this particular application it is worse. If I spin the camera 180 degrees and shoot my face, Olympus would look better.
--
Eugene
http://picture.stanford.edu/Photo

chekist's gear list:chekist's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB Ricoh GR Leica X Vario Sigma DP2 Quattro Nikon D600 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow