A Serious Question (reposed from D300 forum)

Started Oct 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BobWil818
Contributing MemberPosts: 803
Like?
A Serious Question (reposed from D300 forum)
Oct 11, 2009

It was suggested to me that I transfer this post to the lens forum. I thought it was a good idea, so I am, here it is...

"First off, I am not being smart or making a stab at flaming, I am just not that knowledgeable on these types of issues. Also, while I own two Sony cameras, I honestly think that Nikon far and away makes the best photographic equipment on the planet. (I AM planning on buying the D700 and the 14-24mm f/2.8)

Ok, here goes. I have a Sony H1 (just 5.1 meg) with a nice Nikon 1.7x attached to it, and I am comparing it a D300s and a Nikon 200-400mm f/4 as a travel telephoto.

My question is, what am I really gaining besides some resolution?

The H1 w/1.7x is 732mm, while the Nikon D300s w/200-400mm is only 600mm
The H1 is an f/2.8 to 3.5, while the Nikon 200-400mm is an f/4, so it’s slower.

My work with the H1 has been good, not fabulous, but I am getting results that my peers are saying are better than average. I have no trouble catching birds in flight.

What would justify spending about $7,500.00 to upgrade to the Nikon D300+200-400mm???

Here are three things that you should know that might help you…

1) I am planning on spending $100,000.00 to travel the world, including Africa.

2) I shoot everything, but more landscapes and macro than sports and wildlife.

3) My work is not good enough to sell; rather it is intended only engaged in for my own amusement and satisfaction, and well as a legacy to my children.

Thanks in Advance,"

-- hide signature --

BB-Bob
Sony DSC-H1, H2 + Nikon TC-E17ED 1.7X
Sony DSC-R1

'It is never too late to have a good childhood.'
http://bb-bob.smugmug.com/

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow