Started Sep 26, 2009 | Discussions thread
Danel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?
Re: Balogna
In reply to parallaxproblem, Oct 10, 2009

parallaxproblem wrote:

Danel wrote:

Photography is a form of art, a form of expression. This is an area where the government should stay the hell out.

This issue is nothing to do with art... the legislature suggests no ban on the creation or use of such images and I see no restriction on civil liberties or freedom of expression, otherwise I would also oppose it

The objective I see is just that when such images are used for marketing purposes people need to be made fully aware that they are looking at art, a dream, a concept... call it whatever you like... but not reality!

As technology advances the possibility of differentiating between the two becomes increasingly problematic, therefore it seems correct to me that there should be labelling to make the situation clear

So every time we watch a movie and something is not as it looks we should required it to be labeled as "a special effect that does not exist in reality"? The number of things in life that are not as they appear is nearly endless. Should women who have breast implants need to have a label on their chests saying "these aren't real"? After all, we don't want all women who don't have big breasts to feel inadequate, right? What about girdles? These also make women look skinnier than they are in real life. Therefore, we really need a girdle labeling law, just "to make the situation clear", right?

The crux of this law is the supposition that models whose photos are touched up in post processing leads to young women having unreasonable expectations for how thin the "ideal female form" is in reality. They suppose that this leads to eating disorders. Did they ever stop to think that this law would likely lead to demands that models become even thinner so that there is no need to touch up the photos in post processing? Moreover, it has never been shown that anorexia has any single cause. There are often underlying psychological disorders, family environment issues, genetics, etc. None of these will be solved by labeling photos.

I personally know at least two young women who have struggled with anorexia. It is a very serious disease. It is very sad. If I thought labeling photos would have prevented their disease I would say go ahead and stick on the labels. I just don't think labels on model photos would have helped them a bit. I think anorexia is a whole lot more complicated than that.

I'm the type of individual who feels that the government is too involved in my life already. While putting labels on touched up model photos seems to be harmless, I'm concerned about precedent. Once a door is opened a crack, some lawyer or eager to be elected politician will figure out a way to crawl through and turn it into something that was never originally intended. I'm just glad its happening in France and not where I live here in the U.S.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow