Started Oct 8, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jameslj
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
7D BIFs with busy backgrounds - works for me
Oct 8, 2009

I'm new to this forum but I've been browsing for a while. I have a new 7D and all of the BIF concerns naturally got my attention. The weather here has been really pitiful but today I finally had a chance to use my 7D + 100-400L for some BIFs.

I am no flight expert, but I thought the 7D did really well. I took a lot less shots than I did trying to do the same type of shots with my 40D and the whole process seemed easier to me. There were a few times the camera focused on the background. But really, I think there were way more hits than misses (I haven't counted).

Here's a link to some of my BIF tests. None of the photos are cropped. They're just resized:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jameslj/sets/72157622420296151/

If you're not familiar with flickr, you can see the full size shots by clicking a photo then selecting 'All sizes' then 'Original'. EXIF is available through the 'More properties' link.

The light was pretty dreary and I don't think they're fantastic photos. But I think they show that the camera focused well and quickly in complex scenes. I used AI servo with AF point expansion on the center point.

If you think they're good, maybe that will help in your choice of a 7D. If you think they're terrible, maybe that will help you not choose a 7D.

Cheers!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow