Canon 70-200 2.8IS L - Problem with the lens, or with me?

Started Oct 5, 2009 | Discussions thread
can_ka_no_rey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,564
Like?
Re: Canon 70-200 2.8IS L - Problem with the lens, or with me?
In reply to Robert Drea, Oct 5, 2009

Robert,

I think the "get a life" was pointed to me... Anyway, I knew these info were incorrect. But seriously, the 70-200 IS f/2.8 is known to be soft wide open. Softer than the non-IS version and even softer than the f/4 version. This is just a question of compromise.

But like I said, in the real-life you wont notice this and it won't be an issue. But if you want a sharp lens wide open, get the 70-200IS f/4, but you'll loose 1-stop. Like I said, it's just about comprimises.

Robert Drea wrote:

'Get a life?' Really? You want to criticize without knowing what you're talking about? Maybe do a bit of digging on the Subject Distance parameter before smack-talking me. Lenses are not always consistent about reporting distance information, and software is not always consistent about extracting it from the EXIF. Regardless, the subject distance was the same in both shots - the only thing that was different was the aperture.

The subject was Maybe 2.5 metres away. It was a shot of a model car from maybe 6 feet out. I don't know what's up with that EXIF data, but the point is, it's sharper at 4.0 than at 2.8: the subject distance is not a variable.

Please don't tell me you think that I could get an effect like that at 2.8 and not at 4.0, at a distance like 250M... Do you really believe that?

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow