Suggestion to strip EXIF on challenge upload...

Started Oct 5, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Osiris30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,804
Like?
Suggestion to strip EXIF on challenge upload...
Oct 5, 2009

Hey folks, after going through the recent challenges/voting/results, I've noticed something;

EXIF data is retained in the jpeg's shown in the gallery (despite the camera information being suppresed during voting on the display itself). Would it not makes sense to strip the EXIF on the upload for this particular purpose?

The reason I mention this is, I've seen some truly great images that seem to get votes that don't really fit (and no I'm not talking about anything I've ever posted, I expect what I get on those ), and I've seen other images that are quite frankly the most boring and/or contrvied and/or cliche and/or poorly executed crap place in the top 20 routinely and surprise, surprise those images are ALWAYS Nikon or Canon branded in the EXIF. Oddly there are some great shots that place poorly and they seem to have manufacturer names like Oly or Pany, etc.

It's clearly that dpreview felt there was merit in suppresing the camera type during voting, yet it's only been half done.

None of this should take away from the winners, who are usually by and large excellent photos (although there are some I disagree with that's personal taste and all).. Indeed congrats to everyone who submits, but I can't help but think with some of the raving fan boys around these parts we might be better off with totally stripped EXIFs. Capture it on upload then strip it off.

I didn't see any discussion of this in the thread going back as far as I could be bothered to go back, so if it has been raised before, I apologize for bringing it up again, it just seems pointless to suppress the info during voting, having it there before voting and leaving it in the EXIF.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow