Started Oct 3, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil Lanoue
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
First BIF shots with 7D
Oct 3, 2009

Got my first chance to get out there this morning to try out some test shots on birds with my 7D that arrived yesterday.

Just took jpegs for these first tests. Bright sunny day so all shot at 250 ISO.

I'm real new to the learning curve on this camera so I'm hoping that will account for me coming home with more misses then hits. I'm used to my old 1D and the focusing system utilized by that camera. So my overall first impression is that of some disappointment as I expected to hit the ground running a lot better then it seems like I did.

What I really need this camera to do is to react instantly to a subject (fast moving bird) that just suddenly and unexpectedly came into my view. Although these are only preliminary tests, not sure the 7D is up to that task. But time will tell I suppose as I get more hands on use.

I also have some concern that quite possibly my older Canon lenses: 70-200 2.9 L and 300 4.0 L are not keeping up properly and may even be out of whack. So that would explain a lot.

I also am still somewhat confused by the many AF options, and don't feel the manual adequately explains them. So I'll certainly need more time to figure all that out.

The Cormorant with the fish was taken with the 70-200 and the others were with the 300.

First pic is a flight shot of an Egret

Heron flight shot

This next pic shows the full frame then the heavy crop on the next Heron pic

Cormorant. Looks like the focus was on the bird's back rather then it's face.

-- hide signature --

27.9% of all statistics are made up

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow