ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fuki
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
Upgrading from 300D to 50D / 7D / 5DmkII
Sep 28, 2009

Hello everybody!

This is my first post here (although I've posted some images to the challenges area and have been regular reader of the site for years now).

I'm a happy owner of 300D. Along with the 300D body + kit lens I have purchased:
-lenses: 50mm f/1.4 USM, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
-flash: Speedlite 580EX
-grip
-remote control
-extra battery

As you can see, I was thinking of FF from the beginning and refused to buy any EF-S lenses (and still probably won't). I always believed investing in good quality lenses is better than racing for the new body the minute it appears. No matter which body I choose, I need one more lens and that will be 17-40mm f/4L.

Well... now it's time for the body upgrade.

I was thinking of 50D / 5DmkII, but now 7D appeared.

So... we all know pros and cons but the money issue is crucial. I just can't make my mind!
5DmkII is 90% out of the league because it is just too expensive (for me).
This leaves us with 50D vs. 7D.

The main problem with 50D is that it has no video capabilities (which I'm sure 60D will have, but I'm not sure if I'm prepared to wait that long (your input is appreciated :)).

Two things I'm impressed with 7D the most are: new 19-point AF system and 63 zones metering system. I'm not sure if those two things are worth $650. But... 7D also comes with the wireless flash control. Considering the price of ST-E2 ($220), this is now $430 difference. I think that video capabilities are worth that $430 (and, of course, all other benefits like environmental sealing etc.).

I forgot to tell you my main interest in photography and that is people. Mainly portraits but anything goes.

With this in mind 5DmkII would be best choice, but it costs $1000 more than 7D.

So... should I wait for 60D or should I buy 7D or should I save my money and buy 5DmkII after I save enough? BTW It's not just the body, it's also: grip + remote + new, bigger CF (with more MP I need bigger CF) + spare battery...

BTW I'm advanced amateur, and I'm not earning anything from my photos.

Fuki's gear list:Fuki's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow