SDM Failure Repair question I cannot ask in other thread due to "150" message limit

Started Sep 27, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CANIKONTAXIAN
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
SDM Failure Repair question I cannot ask in other thread due to "150" message limit
Sep 27, 2009

I was going to ask a question about SDM lenses not being repairable in USA and that thread hit its max 150 message limit. Aren't SDM lenses two years old? Why do these broken motor lenses get sent to Japan for repair? Is this normal operating procedure for pentax lenses needing repair to have to ship them to Japan for service? Whats the turn around time to get a SDM faillure lens repaired, from its owner to Pentax USA to Pentax Japan and back to Pentax USA and back to the owner?

I was awaiting Mr Boulangers response to Pentax' official response that they , "John C who works at Pentax USA", cannot confirm Pentax USA was ever sent Boulanger's three broken lenses for repair of their broken SDM, but that thread is maxed out and I remain curious:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=33097101&page=1

"Response from Pentax [SIMILAR]
JohnCPentax - 2 days ago

We did a quick search for Mr Boulanger in our service system, and the service system of our new service provider CRIS, and can find no record of his lenses. As this was a quick search based on his name, and looking at lenses from repair centers and camera shops in California (where his profile says he is located), and we only have access to records in the U.S., I cannot say it was all inclusive, but should be fairly accurate.

With that said, we can find no record of ever receiving his lenses. Granted, we have authorized repair facilities around the country, but none of them are authorized to repair SDM lenses. In fact, until a couple weeks ago, no one in the US had training to repair these lenses. Before this training all SDM lenses we recieved in the U.S. were sent back to Japan for service.

Additionally, neither our former service provider nor the new in the U.S. has technicians speak directly with customers. The technicians major concern is repairing product.

Is it possible that these lenses were not properly repaired, or a technician that really shouldn't be working on the lens was, and really didn't know what they were talking about?

I certainly understand that there is concern regarding the SDM lenses, and it is something we are looking into, but many of these cases are people repeating what they have encountered over and over, and embellishing for the internet (where pretty much anything goes it seems and there is a severe lack of civility....but that is another issue). "

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow