ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KVirtanen
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
D700 VF out of focus when battery out
Sep 24, 2009

Hi there,

This is not a problem, just a question regarding something interesting I just can't figure out.

I just put the battery of my D700 to a charger and casually glanced through the viewfinder. It's seemed to be out of focus, so I thought I had the dioptre setting wrong. Nope.

With every lens I tried I could not focus, everything looked REALLY blurry trough the viewfinder. I thought that I had dropped the camera and the mirror had detached or something.

But then I put back the battery and tried the auto-focus. Tack sharp again! Took out the battery, blurry again.

Then I simultaenously put the camera on, and while looking through the viewfinder, I took out the battery.

What happens is that the focus point grid appears, fades away and then the VF dims and blurs at the same time. Insert the battery again, the viewfinder becomes brighter and everything comes into focus again.

Actually, the camera doesn't even have to be on for this to happen (well, it's never QUITE off anyway).

So, out of interest, what part of the camera that has to do with correct focusing is sustained by the battery? Is it the mirror that lowers to a 'sleep state' or something else?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow