What is DXOMark going to say about the 7D ?

Started Sep 23, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
me2000
Senior MemberPosts: 1,621
Like?
What is DXOMark going to say about the 7D ?
Sep 23, 2009

I stumbled onto dxomark.com yesterday and am intrigued by how thoroughly they test a camera's sensor raw performance.

I was very surprised to find that the best APS-C camera out there is the D90 with a score of 72.6. The 40D is the best Canon APS-C camera with a score of 63.5. Dxomark rates the 40D as having better image quality than the 50D.

So where is the 7D going to end up on this scale ?

The D300s is newer than the D90 and will probably have improved image quality over the D300. The 7D is really going to have to experience a jump in IQ in order to keep up with or surpass the Nikon cameras. I'm nervous about ordering one until I see that it has, in fact, done that.

Its very interesting to compare cameras side by side at dxomark. Its interesting how they compare SNR at various ISO values and plot them against each other. Ditto for dynamic range and such.

Right now a D90 is one half the price of a 7D. I buy cameras for their image quality. Its going to be hard to justify lots of bells and whistles on a 7D if the image quality isn't there.

-- hide signature --

40D, 28-135, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 430EX
Broken G9, soon to be fixed.
Ufraw and Gimp power user.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RTFMNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow