Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,783Gear list
Like?
Re: thanks: titles for all three columns
In reply to Ehrik, Sep 23, 2009

Ehrik wrote:

I wonder, though, about the discrepancy versus the BCNranking site,
http://bcnranking.jp/category/subcategory_0008.html

According to the BCN site, their data is collected from "Point of Sales" checkouts at various retailers across the country... I would guess this means Bic/Yodobashi/Yamada/K's/Best, ect.

ยต43 is doing all-right there too, but not extremely so.

However, the GF1 sales (for example) are split between color combos. The Kakaku ranking has all colors under one SKU for tallying purposes. Of course the Kiss X3 is offered in three different kits here, ect.

The BCN ranking has the GH1 ("comfort black") incredibly low... that is the discrepancy I can't wrap my head around. The Panasonic "top 3" sales only started this summer with its release. Maybe the intense interest in the camera, the lack of stock at brick and mortars, has compelled people to order online? I know my friend who got one called around to the mail-order shops to find black (it is still sold out all over) also was concerned with the 100,000 yen barrier...

Someone said the kakaku site only shows a subset of the stores in Japan. And BCN would be more complete. Is that correct?

The only thing I can "safely" assume is that Kakaku sales are calculated by clicks through to the mailorder sites through the website (including Amazon.co.jp, which is doing big sales in Japan recently - even got my 5D2 there), and that BCN is based on scanned items at the register (not including mail-order? this I do not know). Nikon's entry level camera poor showing on Kakaku, and stronger presence on the other makes sense from the "go to Yodobashi, decide on a camera, buy it there... 10% POINTS!" type who are still the majority of Japanese consumers.

Panasonic rated highly on Kakaku when I looked there 1-2 years ago, so maybe they have good relations with the stores featured there?

Their compacts sell very well (to this day), but in terms of DSLR rankings, never even noticed them before the G1 release.

-- hide signature --

-CW

よしよし、今日も生きのいい魂が手に入ったな

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow